Internal Funding

Faculty Pilot/Seed Grants

The Office of Research invites grant proposals for faculty projects that have strong potential to attract external faculty pilot/seed grants funding. Awards are made to support preliminary studies to position faculty to developResearch and submit competitive external proposals as well as for acquisition of data for resubmissions of declined external proposals. Potential and plans to attract external funding are the primary criteria. PIs (Principal Investigators – faculty project directors) must demonstrate a clear and logical plan linking the proposed grant to external funding opportunities and the commitment to pursue those opportunities. PIs who are early career and/or are preparing revised external submissions are particularly encouraged to apply. Grants are contingent upon availability of state funds. 

Please click here for FY20 recipients. 

Creative Activities and Research Experiences for Teams (CARET) program from the Office of Undergraduate Research

The Creative Activities and Research Experiences for Teams (CARET) program is designed to enhance undergraduate involvement and experiences in research and creative activities. This funding program is designed to encourage and support faculty engagement in research or creative activities with undergraduate student collaborators using a team approach.

The research or creative activity can be one project for all team members or multiple projects across students. The CARET Awards are designed to support research teams of a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 undergraduate students. Although it is not required, faculty members in departments with graduate programs are strongly encouraged to include Graduate Research Assistants as mentors. Up to $8,000 is available in faculty support.

For more information, click here

Postdoctoral Research Associate Support

Requests for postdoctoral support are encouraged. Please consult with Jonathan McMurry, associate vice president for research, before applying for postdoctoral funds. 

Graduate Research Assistantships

The Office of Research no longer supports graduate research assistantships (GRAs). All GRA applications should be made via the Graduate Assistantships Program which is managed by The Graduate College.