Impact of COVID-19 on Proposals and Awards
Sponsored Programs is monitoring federal and other sponsor websites and will post pertinent information as it becomes available. KSU has moved to online instruction and teleworking but we are available as usual for assistance in preparing and submitting your proposals. If you have any questions or concerns about an upcoming proposal, please reach out to any of the pre-award staff or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For PIs with active awards, a major concern is about grant-related travel. Please contact your grants manager (email is preferable) if you have travel costs that must be cancelled. Please do not book any upcoming travel at this time. We are following KSU’s travel guidelines on the KSU COVID-19 Information and Resources page.
On March 19 the Federal Government issued OMB M-20-17 in which it authorized Federal agencies to take certain actions due to COVID-19. In particular:
- Funding opportunity deadlines: Awarding agencies may provide flexibility with regard to the submission of competing applications in response to specific announcements, as well as unsolicited applications.
- Payment of salaries: Awarding agencies may allow recipients to continue to charge salaries and benefits to currently active Federal awards consistent with the recipients' policy of paying salaries (under unexpected or extraordinary circumstances) from all funding sources, Federal and non-Federal.
- Allowability of costs due to COVID-19: Awarding agencies may allow recipients who incur costs related to the cancellation of events, travel, or other activities necessary and reasonable for the performance of the award, or the pausing and restarting of grant funded activities due to the public health emergency, to charge these costs to their award without regard to 2 CFR § 200.403, Factors affecting allowability of costs, 2 CFR § 200.404, Reasonable costs, and 2 CFR § 200.405, Allocable costs.
Federal agencies have issued guidance based on this memorandum. Please see the information below and contact your grants manager or sponsored programs with questions. In addition to following the Federal regulations, we must adhere to KSU policies; Federal sponsors require this.
- March 26 Update from NIH Deputy Director for Extramural Research
- NIH Flexibilities Available to Applicants and Recipients of Federal Financial Assistance Affected by COVID-19
- NIH COVID-19 Flexibilities for Applicants and Recipients FAQs
- General FAQs: Proposal Submission and Award Management Related to COVID-19
- NIH LATE APPLICATION POLICY COVID-19
- Guidance for NIH-funded Clinical Trials and Human Subjects Studies Affected by COVID-19
- Video Message from Extramural Research Deputy Director to Applicants and Recipients of NIH Funds on Flexibilities Needed for COVID-19
- Research!America webinar featuring NIH's Drs. Lawrence Tabak and Michael Lauer discussing the agency's response to COVID-19 (Registration required to access recording.)
- NSF Implementation of OMB Memorandum M-20-17
- NSF Letter to the Community Regarding COVID-19 - March 23, 2020
- NSF Interim Guidance for Travel
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for National Science Foundation (NSF) Proposers and Awardees - March 16, 2020
Other resources of interest: