Undergraduate Research Club
The Undergraduate Research Club (URC) is a Registered Student Organization dedicated to promoting undergraduate research and creative activity at Kennesaw State University. Here are just a few things you can do as a member of the club:
- Learn more about how to get started in undergraduate research, how to find a mentor, how to publish and present your results, and how to get funding for your project.
- Help sponsor the Symposium of Student Scholars each year.
- Conduct research as part of an interdisciplinary team.
Our mission is to promote an environment of undergraduate research on campus, to advance and disseminate the theory and practice of research, to provide members with opportunities for professional socialization in a research environment, to promote research that benefits the community, and to foster relationships among like-minded peers who are also interested in research. URC is open to all KSU students.
Officer Names and Emails
Meeting Information for the 2017-2018 Academic Year
- Monday August 21, 2017 at 5:15pm in Clendenin 1009 (Kennesaw campus)
- Monday September 18, 2017 at 5:15pm in Clendenin 1009 (Kennesaw campus)
- Monday October 16, 2017 at 5:15pm in Clendenin 1009 (Kennesaw campus)
- Monday November 13, 2017 at 5:15pm in the Staff Lounge at the Student Center (Kennesaw campus)
- Monday January 22, 2018 at 5:00pm in the Clendenin 1009 (Kennesaw campus)
- Monday February 19, 2018 at 5:00pm in Clendenin 1009 (Kennesaw campus)
- Monday March 19, 2018 at 5:00pm in Clendenin 1009 (Kennesaw campus)
- Monday April 16, 2018 at 5:00pm in the Leadership Room of the Student Center (Kennesaw campus)
Each year, the Undergraduate Research Club conducts team-based research projects that are decided on by the membership at the beginning of the academic year. Each team is led by an officer who has experience in undergraduate research. The projects are submitted to the National Conference on Undergraduate Research each year and are presented at KSU's annual Symposium of Student Scholars. You can view the current research projects here.
Undergraduate Research Club Committees
Symposium of Student Scholars Committee
- Publicize the event
- Put together the program
- Set up the day before in the Convocation Center
- Take photos during the event
- Staff the registration table
- Clean up after the event
- Serve as moderators during oral presentation sessions (e.g., keep on time, introduce speakers)
Undergraduate Research Newsletter Committee
- Working with the faculty advisor to find good stories
- Interviewing people (current students, alumni, faculty mentors, etc.)
- Writing stories for the newsletter
- Learning to use InDesign to format the newsletter
- Work to facilitate faculty mentors and undergraduate researchers working together at KSU
- Increase student awareness of URC both on campus and online
- Help with promotional materials for URC
Community Outreach Committee
- Establish relationships with the community
- Set up community service projects (school supply drive, Big Shanty Parade, conduct data analysis and reports for businesses and nonprofits, etc.)