Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities
The Office of Undergraduate Research will sponsor a limited number of Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities (URCA) travel funds during the academic year. The URCA funds are designed to enhance undergraduate involvement and experiences by supporting only travel expenses to present at conferences.
In order to provide as many opportunities for undergraduate researchers as possible, URCA funds will be limited to a maximum of $500.00 per student per academic year.
The undergraduates will be required to present their research at the annual Symposium of Student Scholars. Students who have completed a presentation or exhibition at an off-campus venue as a result of this program will be designated as an Undergraduate Research Scholar and presented with an Undergraduate Research Honor Cord prior to graduation.
Upon the completion of the project(s), recipients are required to send a final report to The Office of Undergraduate Research that includes abstract(s) of the project results and a list of the presentations/ publications/ exhibitions from the work completed.
Application Due Dates
- First Friday of July, 7/7/17 at 11:59pm
- First Friday of October, 10/6/17 at 11:59pm
- First Friday of December, 12/1/17 at 11:59pm
- First Friday of February, 2/2/18 at 11:59pm
- First Friday of April, 4/6/18 at 11:59pm
Up to $500 per student.
The review committee (composed of one faculty member per college) evaluates each application according to a rubric. These are the criteria by which your application will be evaluated. Not all funding requests are accepted; therefore, we strongly recommend that you refer to the rubric when completing your application: Evaluation Rubric
Selection is competitive. The selection committee will not consider late or incomplete applications for any reason. You will be notified within two weeks of the deadline. All travel paperwork must be submitted within four weeks of the travel. For travel to conferences, students must be accepted to present at a conference and must provide documentation of their acceptance in their application.
All KSU-supported research projects are administered in accordance with established University fiscal procedures and research policies. These include all travel regulations, policies relating to the protection of human subjects, and policies related to intellectual property rights. All publications and presentations must acknowledge the assistance of Kennesaw State University.
The faculty member and students are expected to obtain Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval prior to collecting any data if the project includes research involving human or animal participants.
- Funds may only be used for travel.
- Faculty mentors must be under contract at Kennesaw and students must be enrolled at Kennesaw State during the time period of the funding award.
- Students must be enrolled at KSU during the time period of the travel; the travel must be completed prior to June 10.
- Travel must involve a presentation rather than travel for educational purposes only.
- Individual students may receive only $500 maximum per academic year.
- Students who are not funded the first time they submit are strongly urged to apply again the following round if they can address the review committee's concerns.
Selection and Application Process
Electronic Proposal Submission Guidelines:
Applications must be submitted in the form below. The form consists of two sections: Faculty Section and Student Section. The faculty section should be clearly written by the faculty mentor; the student section should be clearly written by the student. Student sections that appear to have been written by the faculty mentor will not be considered.
Click here to view a sample application.
Click here to view the evaluation rubric.
It will be the responsibility of the individual submitting the proposal to ascertain that the proposal materials are complete when submitted (all requested information is included; no materials missing). The funding committee will not consider late or incomplete applications.